Not at ALL What You Thought

Friday, August 22, 2008

Mint Condition

Juice, my 17yo, fantasizes a LOT. Hey, I guess she is just like I was at her age, only Juice fantasizes about things, while I (used to) fantasize about people. These days, she's fantasizing about her very own car, fantasizing because I have (strongly) suggested that her father's promise to give her a car, before she begins her senior year in HS, may not be realized.

Today, I was picking her up from work, and she said, "I wish I lived in the days when cars cost $500. I wish I could just go back in time."

I pointed out to her that since she was a black young woman, going back in time for a $500 car probably wouldn't be worth the trouble.

"Oh. Right," she said. "Well, then I'd send a white friend back in time to get the car for me. . . . Like one of those Starsky and Hutch cars, only brand-new." Skirting the issue of whether she could buy a "Starsky and Hutch" car, brand-new, from the past, for only $500, I agreed that such a car, in mint condition, would be worth a lot of money in 2008.

"'Mint condition'? Does that have to do with your breath --'minty fresh'?" she asked. I told her that, in fact, the expression had to do with making money at Fort Knox (among other places).

"So mint condition doesn't have anything to do with mints?" I told her no; I tried to explain that mint was also a noun meaning "the place where money is printed" or a verb meaning "stamp" or "print," but then the child said, "Does the word for the place where money comes from have to do with the way the money smells? Like a minty-fresh smell?"

I told her that the expression minty-fresh comes from the name of a plant, "mint," that grows in the ground.

"So money's made from mint?"

Jesus, my brother, just give me strength.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:49 PM , Blogger Ranuel said...

    You've got her to 17, don't kill her now.

     
  • At 9:49 AM , Blogger Gine said...

    Yes'm.

     
  • At 3:44 PM , Blogger Elayne said...

    You know, if she were an adult (like, over 30), I'd tell you she'd been yanking your chain. However, I have one not too far distant from that age so I'm afraid you're going to just have to grind down what's left of your molars. And hope that Goobs gives you an easier time of it.

    (TJ's fantasizing about motorcycles. I walked in here a few minutes ago and he had a page up, "What type of motorcycle you should get." Oy.)

     
  • At 4:01 PM , Blogger Gine said...

    Oh, girl. At the end of the conversation, she WAS pullin my leg. The early stuff, though, was in earnest.

    Goobs is already worse: she can tickle me on a dime.

     
  • At 6:26 AM , Blogger Trin20k said...

    LOL! That girl is messin' with your mind!

     
  • At 10:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Is it wrong that I laughed? You know I'm right there in the trenches with you. The Girl works my last nerve with The Stupid on a daily basis as you also know.

     
  • At 2:37 PM , Blogger Gine said...

    It's funny, Christina. Laugh!

     
  • At 1:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your kid stories make me snort stuff out of my nose

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home