Not at ALL What You Thought

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Xmas at HHS

Last year, HHS's winter concert was okay. The year before was really sad (even though the band had Juice. LOL). The problem was the band director, an ironically named gentleman who was once arrested at a football game for disobeying the police (who had asked him to quiet the band for a minute). IMO, he was a poor example, and poor disciplinarian: this poverty showed up in the band's performance. He left HHS last year. He was kind to my girls, and so I managed not to hate him, but he was sloppy and immature as a band director.

Mr. B, the new director, isn't perfect. I think he's swung in the extreme opposite direction, thereby sucking the fun out of Band, but the HHS concert band was bigger and better than it was last year. Mr. B. did good.

During the concert, one of the musicians did something bizarre (IMO). A friend of Juice and Goobs plays the French horn (and, really, anything he wants to play, like Juice). He's tall and handsome and well-behaved. (He once told Goobs, "Your mother loves me: she thinks I'm handsome and well behaved." His conversations with his father are peppered with "sirs.") If I were Goobs' age, I'd have a crush on the young man, but when they were both freshmen, he habitually annoyed The Section Leader --and her sister*-- by asking questions before doing what he was told.

Anyway, last night, in the middle of a performance, the child took his horn apart and shook the spit out of it. He's First Horn, so he was on the front, where everybody could see him. No, the French horns weren't playing at the time (it was a percussion passage, in fact), but I got a little nervous about whether he'd get the thang back together in time to play. He did, but after the concert, right after he'd hugged me, I did ask him what in the world he was thinking. A very proper young man, he tried to explain --without using the word spit or slobber-- that what he had done positively affected the sound of the horn. (I helped him out, of course, by offering him those words, and agreeing with my semantics, he said, "Yes, ma'am. I drool a lot.")

The chorus (not Mr. B's purview) sounded really good, too, but I was distracted by a child who apparently did not know or care about how she should behave during a concert. She stood with crossed arms, kept fidgeting and digging at her hair, actually hitting herself on the head sometimes, removed and replaced both earrings, and even carried on a briefly-mouthed conversation with somebody in the audience --during the singing. I was truly hard-pressed not to walk up to the stage and have a word with her. There were a hundred and something kids on the stage, all with proper singing aspects, so how does one child --yes, again in the front-- manage to miss out on The Rules? ARRGH. But they sounded good.

Interesting how much more patient I am with the handsome young men, huh?

Dear Jesus, my brother, help us to love on all of our children.

*I'll give you one guess.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:19 PM , Blogger Ranuel said...

    Ah, but the handsome young man is well behaved and polite while the young woman was being a brat. He had to do what he did to fix his instrument. She was just being self-centered and pulling focus from those that cared.

     
  • At 6:51 PM , Blogger Gine said...

    Yes'm.
    G

     
  • At 2:33 PM , Blogger Lori said...

    Cute story. My son plays the alto sax in his school's band, so I could relate. I found your comments about the young lady in the chorus both interesting and funny.

    Oddly enough, last year, one of the young lady's in my son's band was behaving in a similar manner. It just so happened I was seated in the audience next to her mother. According to Mom, her daughter couldn't wait for the school year to end because she didn't like performing in the band and didn't plan on signing up for it again. I recall thinking to myself as I was listening, "Thank goodness!" LOL

    While the child in your story held a "brief" converation with someone in the audience, the girl in my son's band appeared determined to carry on one whenever she didn't have that dog-goned instrument in her mouth.

     
  • At 2:40 PM , Blogger Gine said...

    Good gracious, Lori! I don't know how you stood it!
    G

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home