Not at ALL What You Thought

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Don't Even LIKE Obama Like That!

First of all, this is not a political rant. It's a rhetorical rant. What in the world has happened to the logical and sensible ability to talk about a politician? Any politician --even Barack Hussein Obama? I discover a lot about people's stances on Facebook nowadays, and I'm horrified by the way they argue.

The assertion that Sotomayor wasn't the first Hispanic Supreme Court Justice is tacked onto a charge of antisemitism. The assertion that Obama can't craft a decent national health care plan is tacked onto his stance on abortion. The assertion that Obama is "incredible [sic] cold and arrogant" is tacked onto his ability to president* the country. I had to unfriend two people because of their rhetoric (and, frankly, their commitment to fallacy and inflammatory folklore), and I'm trying to decide about a third.

Clearly, I'm a naif, but I'd just like for people to focus. No, you don't have to love this president; I don't, for what it's worth. Look, I realize that logic is too much to ask for in this dialogue, but could you talk about this administration with some common sense and basic humanity? Less of the "I HATE HIS MUSLIM FACE!!!" and more of the "Eh, not liking this health care idea"? Less of the "But his middle name is Hussein" and more of the "His foreign policy's kind of weak"? This is all I'm asking. What is the point of all the irrelevant vitriol?

Frankly, I blame that idiot Bush.

Dear Jesus, my brother, help us to use the brains you gave us.

*Yeah, I turned it into a verb. You like that?

4 Comments:

  • At 9:09 AM , Anonymous Bethany said...

    I was raised to be overly polite, I think. But the day is coming when I start looking at people and saying, "You realize you're making no sense whatsoever, right?"

    I hear some utterly ridiculous arguments about parking tickets in my job, and I am rapidly losing the ability to care to listen to silly arguments about parking tickets or politics or anything else. I'm starting to simply refuse to participate in conversation with people that can't or won't be sensible.

     
  • At 10:17 AM , Blogger Gine said...

    Bethany,
    What you said. I've decided I'm entirely too old for that kind of annoyance.
    G

     
  • At 7:53 PM , Blogger Just another tattooed girl... said...

    This has nothing directly to do with the blog post...it's just more of a "I miss talking to you on the forums" kinda thing!! I keep telling myself I will get back over there one of these days, but it hasn't happened yet! Until then, I'll keep up with all of you on the blogs, or on FB.

     
  • At 8:49 PM , Blogger Gine said...

    Babette,
    Are you on Fb? Have you friended me?
    G

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home