Not at ALL What You Thought

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Predictions for Elayne

If, as They say, what I did on New Year's day is what I'll be doing all year, then I'll be sleeping late.

I'll be responding to tons of text messages. (Hopefully they won't all say "Happy New Year!" all year.)

I'll be watching TV with Goobs.

I'll be listening to the new songs Juice wrote.

I'll be speaking civilly to the dogs (a NY's resolution*), as opposed to calling them both "stupid" (loudly and under my breath).

I'll be listening to very loud, rock/hip-hop-inspired gospel music.

I'll be taxiing the girls around.

I'll be reading up the stacks of books next to the bed.

In other words, doin what I did last year.

*Broke this one before I finished this list. LOL

Lord Jesus, my brother, thank You for another chance to get it right.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:03 PM , Blogger splord said...

    Happy New Year, Gine!

    I rang in the New Year sitting next to Jen. I can only hope to be doing that as much as possible this year.

     
  • At 9:51 PM , Blogger Gine said...

    Bob. How lovely.

     
  • At 8:06 AM , Blogger Elayne said...

    I regularly tell my dogs, "You are the dumbest dog on the face of the planet" or "I don't love you, you know; never did" or "You're honestly too stupid to live."

    The TRICK is to say it in the same tone of voice that you'd say, "You are the best dog in the whole wide world" or "Mummy loves her little snuggles, yes she does, who's a snuggle-buggles" or "Such a smart dog, here's a treat."

    My dogs respond better when I call "Bad dog! Dumb dog! Come on!" than when I call them by their names. Half the time Macie won't even wake up if you call her name, but will jump up and run if you call "bad dog."

    I can call Honda "Dumb dog" and she goes into positive paroxysms of delight. When I call her "Honda," her actual NAME, she tilts her head to the side and looks baffled.

    You'd think this would cause problems when the phrase "bad dog" NEEDS to be uttered, in sincerity, but it really is all about the tone. "Bad dog" in a "bad dog" tone of voice will send either of them slinking, but "Bad dog" in a "Who's a widdle precious, den?" tone of voice is music to their ears.

    So trash-talk them all you want, just do it in a sweety-pie tone of voice. It gets it out of your system a little bit and they're none the wiser.

     
  • At 9:21 AM , Blogger Gine said...

    Elayne, I believe I'll take that advice, if only to amuse myself (and annoy Juice and Goobs, who can't stand it when I call the dogs names).

     
  • At 11:29 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Yes, it was all very Start As You Mean To Go On :)

     
  • At 6:50 AM , Blogger Gine said...

    I'm so happy for y'all!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home