Not at ALL What You Thought

Friday, January 30, 2009

Served Yet Again. . . .

You know those TV episodes where a clueless person is going along, minding her own business, maybe hanging out with friends, maybe meeting a possible new friend, who comes up and shoots the breeze in a breezy way? And then serves the clueless one with a subpoena? "You've just been served, J. Regina," Possible New Friend says, and walks away.

You know the deal. Well, it happened to me this morning, and it's happening to you right now, johnbrownit. IF YOU ARE WITHIN THREE FEET OF A BOOK, YOU MUST PARTICIPATE IN THIS MEME.

So I gots Bread Not Stone on my johnbrown desk and I'm quoting, johnbrownit, here and now, the fifth johnbrown sentence (and then some) from page 46:
"Insofar as biblical studies are "canonical" studies, they are related to and inspired by their Sitz im Leben in the Christian church past and present. The feminist analysis of the Bible is just one example of an ecclesial context and of the theological commitment of biblical studies in general. This fact is recognized by Schubert Ogden, who nevertheless objects to the advocacy stance of liberation theology. He argues that all existeing liberation theologies are in danger of becoming ideologies in the Marxist sense insofar as, like other traditional theological enterprises, they are "the rationalization of positions already taken." Rather than engaging in a critical reflection on their own positions, liberation theologies rationalize, with the help of the Bible, the positions of the oppressed instead of those of the oppressors."

Hey, it coulda been worse. I started to quote from this book. And my advice to you is If Christina innocently asks if you're three feet away from a book, LIE.

Thank you, Jesus, for friends who know me entirely too well. Else this life'd be so lonely.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is just awesome.

     
  • At 12:35 PM , Blogger splord said...

    Fine. You got me.

    Although my book wasn't as interesting as yours.

    :)

     
  • At 2:41 PM , Blogger lisahgolden said...

    Hey, Gine! It's just wicked, this stealth meme thing. I'm glad to you picked it up!

     
  • At 7:26 PM , Blogger Elayne said...

    HA! I just cleaned out my office this week, so I have, for probably once in my life, absolutely no books within three feet!

    ... Dang. Now I feel all bereft.

     
  • At 10:10 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    I said it to Christina and I'll say it to you. The kids left their stuff all over my desk, so the 5th sentence on p46 of the nearest book is, and I quote, "Kleenex look nicer than dirty necks."

    Hey. You asked.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home